Pages

Friday, July 27, 2012

Let The Games Begin






Oh, the Olympics. I love to watch the Olympic games. I love everything about them. I love the competition, I love to cheer for my country, I love the memories of watching them as a little girl, I love seeing the passion of the competitors, I love hearing some of their life stories...I am thrilled that I am getting to watch them, right now, with my little boy. (can I say "Mr. Bean" and "Chariots of Fire" was one of my favorite parts of the opening ceremony)

My favorite part of the opening ceremony is watching all the competitors come in with their country's flag (Parade of Nations). It always gives me goosebumps. How awesome to get to represent your country in such a manner.

The summer Olympics are, by far, my favorite. Don't get me wrong, I love to watch the figure skating, skiing, and what not. BUT....the summer Olympics are where it is at for me. Among my favorites to watch - swimming, track & field, and gymnastics.

Growing up, my sister and I used to look forward, every four years, to these Olympics. We used to pretend we were one of the American gymnasts or a gold medal wielding swimmer. We also would pick out the men we would cheer for. Naturally, the men on team USA were our first choice for the gold medal, but we thought it wouldn't hurt to cheer for who we wanted as our silver medal finalist. These men, of course, would be good-looking and muscular. We also would pick out our future husbands while watching the Olympics. For this, we usually picked from the gymnastics group of men...however, we did venture into the men's swimming group a time or two.

There is one guy who stole my 13 year old heart, back in 1996. Is it odd (creepy) that I still remember him?

Alexei Nemov. Yes, he was Russian.




But, look at him!!!!




Every time the summer Olympics were over, I would pick what sport I would compete in. I always chose swimming. I would go and practice my swimming in the pool everyday. Whether it be the butterfly stroke, the backstroke, or synchronized swimming, I practiced every day....for about a week or two.
So, now that you know what an Olympic nerd (or just nerd) I am....I hope you enjoy these 2012 summer Olympics as much as I will.


- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...