Pages

Thursday, July 18, 2013

You Can Take The Teacher Out Of The Classroom...

Today was the day that just about every teacher in Oklahoma looks forward to (or maybe it is just me???). Mardel had their big annual education sale. I think, in my 8 years of teaching, I have missed this sale once.

I really had no intentions of going today. Really, I didn't. I figured, since I wasn't going to be teaching next year, there was no need for me to go. That is where I was wrong.

Being in education was the first thing I fell in love with. I met my husband shortly after beginning my first year of teaching. My life soon changed from "just" teacher, to wife then teacher. Not long after that, I became wife, mom, teacher. I quickly came to realize, this year, that I needed to spend some much needed time with my family. Somehow, along the way, my life had become teacher and then wife/mom got thrown in when convenient.

As I am very excited to be spending this year off from work and having more time as wife and mom...it was definitely noted that part of me was missing my love for teaching.

I had an Ah-ha moment this week. I decided to do my own version of pre-k with Lil' Man this year. This would provide me the opportunity to continue doing what I love while spending much needed time with my family.

I sat down and began to think about what I was going to do. I have never been one to use a "curriculum"...I have always used grade level standards as my guide and pulled resources from wherever I could get them to teach those standards. So, I figured this would be easy.

Well, as it turns out...a little daunting. Starting at the beginning, pre-k, is a little harder to plan out for than I would have expected (without having a given guideline of district expectations). Thankfully, after perusing through several blogs and reviewing common core kindergarten expectations...I finally came up with what I was going to do. I will post details later...just in case anyone is interested.

So, that is how I found myself back again at the "big sale". I shopped for a long time. I get some sort of rush every year at that sale. Weird. Here is a look at what I found.





It is a start, definitely not everything I will need, but a start. I am really looking forward to this year...I think Lil' Man and I will have a lot of fun.

- Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...