Pages

Tuesday, August 20, 2013

Baked Oatmeal "Muffins"

In an effort to help the husband have a way to consume a healthy breakfast on his early busy mornings, I decided to hunt down my mom's old baked oatmeal recipe...the one I remembered her making 20 years ago for us kids. I thought it would be the perfect "grab-and-go" breakfast for those busy mornings. I also knew it would be a good healthy breakfast for Lil' Man and myself to enjoy as we started out our day too.

My hunt for this recipe took a little longer than originally planned. I have no idea where I placed my copy of the recipe, so I had to phone my mom for help. Thankfully, she found her copy and was able to give it to me. Thanks, Mom!

Although, not terribly unhealthy...I decided to adjust the recipe some to make it a tad more healthy. I substituted the oil with applesauce and the egg with banana. I want to add some chia seeds next time...read here why chia seeds are a great addition to your everyday foods. Chia Seed Benefits: 10 Reasons To Add Chia To Your Diet.

Why should you make these???

Busy schedule in the morning? Make these Sunday night and have them ready to go for the rest of the week as a quick healthy breakfast. Have plenty of time for breakfast? Make and eat them fresh from the oven with a side bowl of fruit and yogurt. Seriously, you can't go wrong with these little gems.




Okay...the recipe.

You will need:
1/2 cup applesauce
2 mashed bananas
1 tablespoon coconut oil
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 cup of milk
3/4 cup brown sugar
3 cups rolled oats
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon cinnamon

Baked Oatmeal "Muffins"

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Place the following items in a large mixing bowl:
- 1/2 cup applesauce



- 2 mashed bananas




- 2 teaspoons baking powder




- 1 cup of milk




- 3/4 cup brown sugar




- 3 cups rolled oats




- 1 teaspoon sea salt




- 1 teaspoon cinnamon




- 1 tablespoon organic coconut oil




* Mix all ingredients together and spoon into muffin tin




* Place paper cupcake cake liners in muffin tin for best results




* Spoon in oatmeal mixture into the liners




* Add any topping (strawberries, blueberries, chopped nuts, chocolate chips, etc.) you would like, I added chocolate chips and dried cranberries.




* Bake for 25 minutes
* Ready to eat or cool and place in fridge








** Heat for 15-20 seconds in microwave after being refrigerated **


Posted using BlogPress from my iPad

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...