Pages

Thursday, February 26, 2015

The Reluctant Homesteader: We Are Done with Winter



**My blog has been moved to chroniclesofakeeper.com**


Well, this week has not been all that exciting around here. We have not been able to spend much time playing with our goats, begin working in the garden or do anything else outdoorsy. Thanks to some frigid temps and some snow, it has been a bit miserable to be outdoors.

One particularly cold and snowy morning this week, I discovered my little "helper" was otherwise indisposed to doing morning chores. This was, of course, after I was already outside waiting, watching for him, and...yes, waiting some more. He was supposed to be bringing the bucket of goat feed down. That never happened. I had to trudge my way back to the feed shed to get some food for them. 


Thankful for a warm coat while I was waiting...in the cold...while it was snowing...at 7:00 a.m.

I don't blame him though. No one wanted to be out in that weather. My chickens only came out long enough to get some food and a dribble of water to quench their thirst.



My goats? Well, they did not go outside. Period. I read somewhere that goats don't really like to get wet. That, was no lie. My goats do not care for any form of precipitation. The whole day went by and they finally came out for about two minutes right before evening. Then, back into their warm and dry little abode they went. 




Our big excitement for the week was when that sneaky coyote decided to come back around one morning. He didn't get any chickens this time. I was able to run outside, scream and clap my hands, effectively scaring him away. I also, may or may not have made the best decision by trying to track him down...with my little 9 mm. I wandered around for a while (which, by the way, made me late to my morning ladies' Bible Study)...but he was long gone. 

I hate that coyote. I literally hate him


Well, off I go to prepare for the next round of winter weather. Here are some more pictures to enjoy of my little farmyard crew (ignore all the annoying shadows)...


I always have to include a picture of Miss Franny

Isn't this little grass box nifty? L made it so they could have fresh grass to eat without destroying the grass. They LOVE it.

Miss Galina (Greek, not to be confused with the Spanish word gallina)...I think she is so beautiful.

Enjoying an apple

Josie does not like to share with Shiloh. She sneezed at her (which also sprayed onto me) and would head butt her to keep her away from the apple.
Josie. I decided to go with Josie as her name. Her attitude often reminds me of Josie Pye, from Anne of Green Gables.

Sweet, little, skittish Shiloh

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...